<VV> Broken cam gear

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Dec 17 17:10:43 EST 2006

 All,

I have placed pictures of my lastest broken engine on the fastvairs site.
On the second outing of my Eaton "roots type" supercharged, 3100cc mid engined '64 roadster, with Michael driving , the car suddenly lost power. Several of the blower intake tubes were blown off and there was no compression , but good oil pressure, and no bad noises.
  I finally got around to tearing it down--Performance workshop deadline prompted me.
The cam gear tooth ring is in good condition. It is just no longer attached to the hub which is in good conditiion and still double set screwed to the canshaft. . It's  like losing all of the spokes in a bicycle wheel.
  The Chevrolet type gear lasted 8 to ten years of autocrossing --I can't remember exactly)
in a supercharged car (Paxton, turbo, Eaton).
  Nothing else in the engine was damaged, so the clearances were OK.
I was going to rebuild this well worn engine anyway this winter.; so not terribly disappointed.

Has anyone else seen a cam failure like this? All of my other failures were sheared teeth.

Warren