<VV> Camshaft choice ?

D. Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Mon Dec 18 15:24:26 EST 2006

    After 38 years dealing with Corvairs I am still making several mistakes on my rebuilds. I think one of them was installing a new 304 camshaft, in my 140 with step milled heads and going (by misscalculations) to 10.2 compression ratio, for a 67 car used for street/road driving only, at no more than 3,600 rpm. Needed to go to 6 degrees advance and been very carefull while accelerating or climbing between 2,000 - 3,000 rpm. to avoid pinging or detonation.
    Last week, I lowered the CR to 9.2 and pinging went away and got good acceleration till 3,000 rpm but best between 3,000 and 4,500. I don't like the way it idles, too, as compared with the 110 in my Rampside (891 ultra camshaft), smooth as silk.

    So, for a better performance on low and mid range which could be the best camshaft ?

    Daniel Monasterio (still learning from mistakes)