<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 23, Issue 53

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Dec 18 14:12:31 EST 2006

> > My excitement was short lived with the fan belt coming loose and I
> > panicked so I came on here to ask for advice and some felt that it was
> > their duty to insult me instead of help me.

Is the type of thing ZI run into every time I leave the US: culture shock.
The UK is probably the worst since it is so similar that the differences
are glaring (such as the idea that you should pay for having a TV).

ANY culture is different and I suspect you simply hit a sore nerve with
those people who made the mistake of leaving home without a spare belt once
upon a time.

Ignorance is always curable. Modern cars generally never even need a spare
tire or oil between oil changes so many people have only a vague idea where
the engine is but forty odd yar ago, Jaguars still came with instructions
in the owner's manual on how to decarbonize the head.

Back then a trip of 1,000 miles was an adventure and you stocked things
(like a coupla quarts of oil and spare belts) you might need and the car
had to be "prepared". Today Orlando to New York is a matter of get in and go.

Someone new to Corvairs is liable to be surprised by some of the spares
carried (my electrical kit has a spare set of spark plugs, points bracket,
and coil).

Some things (like a failed alternator) can be deferred for a while but a
dislodged fan belt cannot. You stop immediately (preferably put in Neutral
and turn engine off while still coasting - can coast further that way also)
and do not start until replaced.

Since the AAA truck is unlikely to have a spare belt these days, it is a
good idea to carry a spare. It is even a better idea to accept that it runs
best what today would be thought waaaay too loose but loose lets the twists
stay in the right place.

The nice thing is that unlike an "interference" engine, you can let the
belt run to break without worry of expensive damage. Just do not allow to
run any further or it will overheat. Quickly.

As to people, there seem to be good and bad everywhere so why should Corsa
be any different, most do not mind novice mistakes, some even remember
making them. Yesterday.

Padgett