<VV> Rich Thompson's Spyder

Mike & Jackie mjsvair at kitusa.com
Tue Dec 19 13:53:08 EST 2006

A question earlier on VV may have already been answered on Rich Thompson's
64 Spyder and the interior color...and we missed it, but here is the
clarification from Rich after we spoke with him earlier today.  We also had
a question about the article in Hemming's Classic Car (February 2007 Special
Issue) and statement regarding the interior paint "gloss" in his Spyder.
Mike & Jackie Squires

Following is Rich's email to us:

Great talking with you today. It was nice to hear some of the positive
comments coming from VV about the recent article about my Spyder in HCC. I
don't subscribe to it so I don't get a chance to see what has been said.
>From what you told me, it sounded like someone might of had a question
interior color on the car which can be cleared up easily. Since I have not
got a copy of the magazine yet, only a pdf, I assume they are referring to
one of several pictures I sent HCC that I took during the restoration.
There is one real ugly one of the interior when I was pulling it apart
early on it shows the cobbed together version of the car when I got it. The
previous owner had a thing for black cars, all black, and had done a crappy
redo of the car with parts from a black parts car. Just awful. Best I can
tell he sprayed it with Krylon in a can on the dash and doors, but I knew
when I bought it he tried to change the color to match the nicer black
seats and door panels he had from the parts car. You can see some hints of
the actual red in some spots in the poor photograph of the front of the
interior (just above the glovebox area, which I found, and primer
underneath that etc.), but I found in several key areas, plus he told me he
painted over it. The black on the floor was his attempt at POR-15 (which I
took out) and did right with POR-15 and then the correct red oxide primer.
So, yes, the car had a red interior. Just brought it back to normal and
saved it from the previous owner's idea of "restoration".

So, a little more inside scoop of what I had to start with. Oh yes, the
author, who was great to work with, did express something not in the right
way about tones/gloss in the interior. I told him about the differences in
the need for '64's having a zero gloss dash area, etc. and the door panels,
etc. having a 60% gloss level. I think he might have expressed that
incorrectly in how he wrote that as well.

I am just happy that our marque is getting more positive exposure through a
major classic car magazine to thousands of readers as well as CORSA through
this article as well. We all benefit long term from this. Like I say, it is
all about spreading the word of your brand and positive stories help our
CORSA "brand" in every way.

Anyway, feel free to share this with the VV group. Merry Christmas and
Happy New Year.

Best Regards,

Rich Thompson