<VV> End casting

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Tue Dec 19 22:03:07 EST 2006

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:13:33 -0600
From: Robert Paul <barnaby at shaw.ca>
Subject: <VV> Re: VV  - End Casting
 Secondly, to remove the end casting from the block, do I need to remove the
distrubutor?  I think I have all of the bolts rmoved but the casting is on
tight, I did not try to hit it with a bigger hammer, and I put my shop
manual in a safe place last time I used it....so safe I can't find it.  Any
help on this one?
Thanks again
All the best
Robert Paul

I think you would want to remove the distributor to keep from damaging the
brass gear on the crankshaft.  You won't be able to reinstall the casting
and get the distributor in proper time anyway so you might as well remove
it.
My proceedure to get gasketed parts apart is to find a remote area where
there is a big corner or mass of metal to play with and drive a wood chisel
into the joint.  Once you get a corner loose it will eventually peel apart.
The housings have dowels locating them so lift both sides equally.
Sometimes you get lucky and a putty knife will work also.
Before re-assembly be sure to file flat any burrs or bumps you get by
driving the chisel in.  If the chisel screws up the joint too bad you might
have to use Permatex for sealing any oil leaks.
Just take it easy!
Clark Hartzel