<VV> Belts

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 20 03:31:13 EST 2006

I think we should leave Roger out of the subject line.

I order my belts (well about 5 years ago was the last time) from CU...
Dayton TOP COG.  I think I bought 3 and still have them.  Two are still NOS,
so to speak.  The only wrapping I'm aware of is the cardboard thing they
came in.  I would have ordered more since then, but none broke in about
75,000 (total of 3 for 5 yrs) Corvair miles.

The none broke was a bit of a lie.  None of THOSE broke.  I DO normally
break one belt per year (but none last year).  The one that breaks is on
ICEMBL (the ice race car).  Call me lazy or forgetful (maybe both).  About
half way to Wisconsin, I usually break a belt - because the rusty pulleys
(car sits 10 months and only goes out to play in the winter) wear out and
throw a belt.  Takes about 5 min or so to change it out and the pulleys are
clean by then.  I lied about it because I more or less count on that one
happening.

If I take the ice car out of the above calcs, it would be like 2 cars for
70,000 over 5 yrs with no broken belts.  One (owned 1 1/2 yrs) does not have
the top cog belt.  It came that way.  Replacement (some future unknown date)
will be a top cog belt.

Later, JR

'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140