<VV> My Christmas present ( very little vair)

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Dec 20 17:49:11 EST 2006

Perhaps if GM had spent more time developing the  turbo Corvair instead of
dropping it after 1966 we could have seen many of these  advancements a lot
sooner.  The developers of the GXP obviously spent  considerable time and effort
to achieve minimal turbo lag, using a dual  scroll turbo mounted right on the
end of the exhaust manifold, direct gasoline  injection into the combustion
chambers as well as variable camshaft  phasing.  Even BMW and Honda are now
producing advanced  turbo vehicles.  BMW uses 2 small turbos, each one handling
exhaust  from 3 cylinders of a 6 cylinder inline engine.  Mounting the turbos on
the  ends of the exhaust manifolds makes a BIG improvement in throttle
response.  When I insulated the stock pipes from the manifolds to the turbo  on my
otherwise stock 180, it made a significant reduction in turbo lag as well  as
raising the boost pressure from 8 to 10 psig on the same long hill I took on
the way to work every day.  Mounting the turbos so as to completely  ELIMINATE
the piping from the manifold to the turbo makes a major  improvement in
reducing turbo lag.
    Many (if not most) of the car mfrs. are beginning  to realize that
turbocharging their engines can let their customers "have their  cake and eat it
too" with a small engine getting good mileage that can also  produce major power
when needed.
    A spinoff company from MIT (_www.ethanolboost.com_
(http://www.ethanolboost.com) ) is now promoting  using small engines with turbos that utilize
direct injection of ethanol as an  anti-detonant so they can run with both high
boost and high compression ratio as  well as getting high mileage for normal
driving.  Maybe I should tell them  that WATER has over 3 times the cooling effect
of ethanol and is a LOT  cheaper and MUCH more readily available.<GGGGGG>
    Frank "inject water, drink ethanol"  Burkhard

In a message dated 12/20/2006 3:52:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,