<VV> Tach out of whack and car runs like cr*p

Steve Brennan alohaz at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 16:15:11 EST 2006

The tach on my 1962 Spyder suddenly is not working properly, as it shows an idle RPM of about 600 when the car is actually idling at 1000 (via an external engine analyzer).  Likewise, it tops out at about 2500, when the engine is actually turning 4000+ RPMs.  This is a relatively recent development, right around the time I reconnected the resistor block  before the Flamethower coil.  Did I do something wrong that is affecting the tach, or do these things go bad?  If the latter, what years share the same tach for replacement purposes?

Also, I can't put my hands on the literature for my Petronix Ignitor.  Can anyone advise on how the dwell is set, and what it should be at?  The car is still crapping out above 3000 RPM.  Installed new Bosch plugs; Checked, cleaned and sprayed graphite on the distributor weights; they seem fine. Found I had a vacuum advance instead of retard on the distributor so replace that with a used one from Larry's.  Checked the dwell and it showed low for standard car (about 16 degrees), so thought I would investigate resetting that.  Then found I could not find my instructions (buried behind all the Christmas decoration boxes, no doubt.)

Thanks for all the help this past year.  You have made my entry into the World of Corvairs a lot less stressful and a lot more fun.
Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukah to all.

Steve Brennan
1962 Corvair Spyder Coupe
1965 Corvette Coupe