[fastvair] Re: <VV> Spares for track/autocross

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Dec 25 12:53:17 EST 2006

On Dec 24, 2006, at 2:21 PM, taruffi57 at aol.com wrote:

> A helmet.
> When I get there, the car is ready to roll off the trailer and  run.

I agree with Joe that what you don't want is to be finishing something
when you get to the event.  If it's broken, best to fix it before you
get there.

However, the question I think is spares to carry if something lets go
at the event.  Some of that depends on what sort of event you're
running - if it's an autocross there isn't much you can fix between
runs.  Certainly a fan belt is prudent, and some extra e-clips, wire
ties, tape - that sort of thing can help if you just need to get it
together long enough to get in another run.  I'd suggest a portable air
compressor in case you discover a slow leak.

For a one day track event I'd go with some fluids, and perhaps some of
the easy to replace stuff like an alternator, fuel pump, clutch cable,
etc. (some folks carry this sort of thing on long trips, so review
those suggestions).

At a weekend race the limit is really your budget and manpower.  A
spare powerpack (engine, diff, trans) might not be out of line.  This
list could be really tough, as it depends both on your budget and crew.
  Perhaps as much of a long block as you can manage, ditto for a
transaxle.  Hubs would be next on my list.  A ready to go halfshaft and
diff yokes, or complete early axle come to mind.

BTW, the parts won't do much good without tools, I have a trip/event
tools page from suggestions on VV, which also has some recommended trip
parts:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tool.html
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa