<VV> Kevlar Clutch for New Driver?

Steve Brennan alohaz at ca.rr.com
Mon Dec 25 20:35:09 EST 2006

I will soon be dropping the power train on my 1962 Spyder to change the clutch and pressure plate and install a bolted flywheel (the riveted one is making quite a racket) in preparation for turning it over to my 17 year old daughter as her first car.  I have been teaching her how to drive a manual transmission on the clutch the came with the car (seems in decent shape; probably would last a while with an experienced driver), figuring I would let her learn on the existing clutch and flywheel rather than on the new ones.  So here is the question, should I install a kevlar clutch plate?  CU indicates it does not have the quirks of other performance clutches, and if it would be more accepting of a new driver's mistakes, it might make sense, even given the extra cost.  (I hope my other 3 kids will likewise learn to drive a stick shift on this little beauty.)  Does any one have any experience with the kevlar clutches and/or any advice on this issue?

Second question:  Are there things that just make sense to do while the drive train is out, even though it was not the reason for dropping it?  I figure you guys have learned a lot from experience and might be able to offer a newbie a bit of Corvair garage wisdom.

Thanks,
Steve Brennan
1962 Spyder Coupe
1965 Corvette Coupe