<VV> "Spring clip" on left front hub

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 27 12:02:48 EST 2006

Folks,

     My son and I are finishing up the front suspension on his car, and hope to get it re-installed this weekend.  After adjusting the wheel bearings, we put in cotter pins to hold the spindle nut.  We then realized when we went to put on the dust cap on the left hub, that because the speedometer cable goes through that hub, you can't use a cotter pin.  In fact, we had purchased a new "spring clip" that is supposed to function to hold the spindle nut in place, but when we tried to install it, it would not "lock" or stay in place.  We looked in the service manual and in the CORSA Tech Guide, but could find nothing that helped.
     This has got to be something simple that we are just missing, but can someone explain how this funky looking "clip" is supposed to be installed so the nut won't come loose and the wheel fall off as we're driving down the street?

                    Thanks,
                     Travis Payne
                      65 Monza Coupe