Fwd: <VV>Other work/Kevlar Clutch for New Driver?

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Dec 27 12:40:27 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/25/2006 10:02:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hmlinc at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Are there things that just make sense to do while the
> drive train is out, even though it was not the reason for dropping it?

I do everything the others have said and (if I have another weekend
available) I clean and paint all the parts that are attached to the
engine/transmission.  Check the two front mounts and replace them if they have failed.  I like to
replace the rubber bushings on the shift tube and the two lower suspension
rods (not the trailing arms) if they are cracked or swollen from oil (especially
PG cars).  If you have a manual transmission check that the shift tube rod
that is attached to the transmission has not broken off from the shift tube.  It
is designed to "tie" the two together and shifting becomes sloppier if they
aren't (the bracket is brazed to the shift tume),  It is also a great time to
clean the accelerator linkage and replace any parts that allow slop (don't get
oil on the little rubber bushings).  Clean, tight linkage makes the engine
respond better.  If you have time I also recommend wire brushing, priming and
painting the bend in each "frame" rail as it turns up over the wheel wells.
Trying spraying some sort of rust eater/sealer inside the "frame" rails at the
openings (most 67-69 cars I have worked on don't have rubber plugs to close them
off).

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier