<VV> magnesium fans

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 28 19:08:42 EST 2006

Harry,
   Keep wondering. It can burn like crazy. Ever heard of a mangisium flare? I was a USAF crewchief and were were NOT to try to put out a Mag fire with a water extinguisher. Water will do nothing. Better to fight a fuel fire with CO2 or Halon.

   I had a little incident where the acft went off the runway with a blown main tire. I was lucky enough to see it happening.

   I was the first one there and put out the tire fire with dirt, the mag didn't start.  I had two 100 lb CO2 extinguishers on my follow me truck. We got the engines shut down and Pilot ready to egress when the fire dept finally got there.

   It might be a neat experiment to break a small chip off and put it into a controlled fire!!

Harry Yarnell <hyarnell1 at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Has anyone, um, tossed one of these on a bonfire, just to see what would happen? Sort of like the vacuum cleaner blowups taken to the next level.
I've seen magnesium burn, and it's rather intense. Not sure you can put out a magnesium fire...
Just wondering....

harry yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net