<VV> Re: 1964 Corvair value

NicolCS nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Dec 28 21:05:18 EST 2006

Here's my perspective.  The Early Monza coupe is about mid-pack on the Corvair value tree, the '64 model year is a slight plus, the automatic transmission is a slight minus.  The beige color is a slight minus.  The saddle interior is a plus. The engine is the first of the second generation (164") motors and that's a plus.  The wild cards are the real condition of the paint, body, interior, and engine.  A typical, nice repaint will cost $2500+ with only minor body repair, an engine overhaul (freshening to complete) is in the range of $1500 to $3000. You can easily put $1000 into the interior, though from the pictures, the seats look nice; can't see the dash, the door paint needs to be redone.  Weather strips OK?.  Top dollar for the most awesome, killer, 64 Monza PG might be $7500.  Would you be willing to spent that kind of $$$ for this car if it were perfect?  Yes? Then start subtracting restoration costs from that number and see what you end up with.- that's pretty close to the value.  Not willing to spend that much?  Then pick the number you like and subtract  the real costs of bringing this car up to your standards.  Is this car up to your standards as it sits and you really wouldn't want to improve it?  If that's the case, you might go a little backwards ($500 ish) if you turned around and resold it. If I bought the car, I'd repaint to a color that's compatible with the cool, saddle interior (like black or teal), put some modern rims/tires, and convert to a 4-speed and Spyder (tach and gauges) dash.
Hope that helps!
Craig Nicol