<VV> Re:POWERGLIDES my humble take so far...

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 19:55:42 EST 2006

a couple of thoughts.(this is after doing about 5 trannys the last few
years)..the differential seal inside by the pinion is now old enough to really need
replacing (its a bomb waiting to bite you!), no matter how low the miles. this
requires comeplete tear down. while you are at it , look at all of the
bearings carefully for damaged surfaces.
on the tranny ..get the video from clarks and think about tearing into it. it
is not that hard , if you have any tools at all. i skirted a couple of the
"special" tool issues quite simply with what i had here with no trouble. i did
use my cheapie harbor freight press in a couple places.very carefull cleaning
of all parts is a must.  also i found bob balews book to be a must.  great
notes on how and why.
so far the differential was more tedious job to get just perfect and cleaned
up, and that was not bad if everything was ok. if a bearing is bad , that will
cause more work in setting it up again. if not just carefull marking ,
keeping track of parts , and counting turns on the sleeves will get you going just
fine.i think there are pictures of some of my stuff and tools on the web
picture site, thanks to thomas.
regards, tim colson