<VV> YH Carb Accelerator Pump Question

Steve Brennan alohaz at ca.rr.com
Sun Dec 31 22:10:44 EST 2006

In rebuilding my YH Carb, I noticed that the accelerator pump only "pumps" when the throttle first comes off of idle.  Thereafter, the accelerator pump appears to be at its maximum extension.  If you continue to open the throttle, the pump link affects nothing for about an 1/8" and then finally moves the metering rod arm only for the final 1/8" (all measurements approx.)  I have reviewed the rebuild instructions, the Chevy turbo supplement, and all the other materials I have, and they all show the same set up.  There is an 1/8" or so gap between the accelerator pump link (that sits on top of the lower spring/clip) and the metering rod arm. This gap "absorbs" the middle 1/8" movement of the throttle, explaining why nothing is affected during that part of the throttle movement.  The Chevy turbo supplement describes an adjustment that involves pushing the accelerator pump shaft down until the metering rod arm makes contact with the accelerator arm, which appears to indicate that this gap is supposed to be there.)

Did I put it together wrong, or is this the way these carbs work.  I decided to rebuild the carb to begin with because it had a dead spot upon acceleration (oftentimes accompanied by a small "burp" back through the carb).  I can rev the engine up very nicely with a gradual opening of the throttle, but if I "step on it" I still get the dead spot and burp.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year
Steve Brennan
1962 Spyder Coupe