<VV> old piston - new rings

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Feb 1 12:15:16 EST 2006

At 05:45 hours 01/29/2006, djtcz at comcast.net wrote:

>  original - "I tried that, new rings on old pistons, and the rings
> broke up into pieces in a hundred miles or so."  RonH
>-------------------------------------
>
>On new or used pistons I check the rings for-

snip

>- no cylinder ridge.  The ring and piston don't like whacking the
>ridge 3000 time a minute.
>--

THIS is the culprit for lots of instances where new rings get
cracked.   You can't have the ridge there; the old rings "wore into"
that ridge (since they caused it in the first place) and if the ridge
isn't removed, new rings which are *Not* worn will smack the ridge
and crack.

Ridge reamers aren't that expensive.   You can also usually rent them
from your favorite "rent-a-thingy" joint.

tony..