<VV> Re: Starter

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Feb 1 09:21:20 EST 2006

>Alright, tomorrow I'm going to remove the starter, and
>try to WD-40 the drive, then I will blow it out, and
>put some synthetic oil on the shaft, and work it a
>little bit, and re-install it.  If it still doesn't
>work on the car, then I suppose I might take it back
>off, and get a new drive.

Unfortunately, what is slipping is the roller clutch (usually 4 rollers and
springs) under the cap on the drive. They are designed to grip when turning
in one direction and slip in the other (when the engine starts and flywheel
is moving faster than the starter). If the springs start getting weak, the
starter is liable to slip and take off by it self. Usually you have a month
or two when it will mostly grip and occasionally slip (particularly when
hot). If slipping all the time when cold, you need a new drive.

See http://padgett.ws/files/starterdrive.jpg

Padgett