Fwd: <VV> RE: Caged nut repair

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Feb 1 11:18:15 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/31/2006 3:30:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mopar at jbcs2.net writes:

> Don't bother repairing the caged nut. Just use a good nut and washer.
> Should be easy to get to with the tank out. Stainless nut would last
> forever.
> Gary Swiatowy

I agree with Gary.  The "caged" part did it's only job holding the nut when
GM assembled the car.  After all these years I would be suprised if any hadn't
failed (outside of that rust free little old ladies car in Anaheim).  As you
said, the gas tank is out so it is easy to torque the suspension mounting bolts
and you are unlikely to have to do it again.  When I did my cars suspension I
painted the new nuts to minimize future rust, but I don't plan to ever
disturb them again.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair