<VV> RE: caged nut repair/ proper materials

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Wed Feb 1 15:16:32 EST 2006

 No I don't remember where or who quoted
> that to me but if you used the Grade 8
> items you would insure your safety.

Just to add to Chuck's post.  I don't know how many of you have done any
suspension work on your Vairs, but to date, EVERY suspension bolt I have
removed on ANY of my Lates, have shown significant signs of hydrogen
embrittlement.  It's a function of the era in which the fasteners were made,
the effects of time, and galvanic corrosion for those of us living where
road salt is a fact of life.  If you haven't replaced your suspension
fasteners with new Grade 8's.....you should at least think about it!  I've
had original front cross-member attachment bolts shatter like glass at
torques less than a Grade 3.....the heads popped off like an over-ripe zit!
All of my cars have new bolts in all of the critical suspension attachement
points.

BTW, I know of NO stainless steel fasteners that will pass a Grade 8 spec!

John Kepler