<VV> Details> changing transmission

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 1 16:09:49 EST 2006

Sure, just jack the car up so you can get under it, support the transaxle
with a jack-under the transaxle itself.  Disconnect the shift linkage.
Disconnect the throttle linkage at he bellcrank mounted to the case-be
careful with bolt that mounts bellcrank to case as they rust and break off.
Easier to leave on transmission and remove throttle shaft to engine and the
one from under the rear seat.  Loosen rear main engine mount-two bolts.
Loosen either the trans cross member at the trans (four 9/16" bolts?) or at
the "oxbow"-big black arched cross member above the trans ( 11/16" castle
nuts I believe. One on each side). I prefer to loosen one castle nut on each
side and drop the front of the trans cross member and trans down. If you do
that, the stability control rods need to be loosened-so some prefer, like
Harry Y, to remove the trans mission from the cross member. You want to tilt
the whole drivetrain down toward the front so you can slip the trans down
off and its output shaft out of the transaxle case. Remember mainshaft runs
from pilot bushing in end of crankshaft to front of transmission. You may
have to hold the main shaft when you do this as it will hang up in the trans
unless you get the angles just right. What this does is make your slant
distance forward a lot longer, so you have to be higher up in the rear of
the car. Loosen four bolts to Transaxle/diff case a little. Now you need to
support the transaxle case and separately, the transmission.  Remove and
pull  transmission.  This at least close to correct... LOL!

BTW, all the fluid-well not all of it, comes out when you break the two
apart....

Good Luck,

Chuck S
BBRT