<VV> '65-'66 Steering Columns and Boxes

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Fri Feb 3 10:34:12 EST 2006

VVers (or maybe just Seth):

My rapidly declining memory has failed me.  I'm pretty sure I recall
that there was a manufacturing change part-way through the '65 model
year such that an early '65 tele column can only be used with '65s and a
late '65 tele column could be used on a '66.  Is this correct?

Or was the steering box the component that changed?  I seem to recall
from one of Seth's knowledgeable posts that one year had a 14.5" shaft
coming out of the steering box, and the other had a 15.5" shaft.  If
this is correct, which was which?

Also, if all that changed was the steering box, can any tele column be
used on a '65-66?  Or must the two components match up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steven "porous memory" Serenska