<VV> Strut Rods and LM Engine Removal

Harry Yarnell hyarnell1 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 08:56:32 EST 2006

Harry Yarnell
Perryman Garage and Orphanage
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net
----- Original Message -----
From: "John H. Green" <jgreen at alum.mit.edu>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:05 AM
Subject: <VV> Strut Rods and LM Engine Removal

We are removing the engine and transaxle from our 1965 110/4 for the first
time and have two related, and one unrelated questions.

1. Is it necessary or beneficial to remove the strut rods from the car
body - suspension? It looks like engine and transaxle will come out easily
with the struts hanging down, but still attached to the car.

YUP.

2. We encountered problems when removing the struts from differential using
the instructions in Finch's "How to Keep Your Corvair Alive." Specifically,
the struts pushed down when the some of the bolts were removed, leaving the
remaining bolts under tension. We used a floor jack to release the stress.
Are we doing something wrong and can we use the floor jack when reinstalling
things?

THIS IS NORMAL. WHAT YOU'VE DONE IS PRETTY MUCH HOW IT'LL GO BACK TOGETHER.

3. The engine - transaxle is at a slant (back to front) while our ATV jack
and Fitch-like cradle (made from 2x4's) is parallel to the floor. What is
the proper procedure in this case? My son thinks we should lift the front of
the car to level out the transaxle.

DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH OF A SLANT,  USUALLY THE LIFTING (REMOVAL) DEVICE WILL
PICK UP THE ANGLE OF THE POWERTRAIN. rEMOVE THE REAR MOTORMOUNT NUT FIRST,
THEN THE TWO FRONT (TRANS CROSSMEMBER) MOTORMOUNT NUTS.
iF IT'S BALANCED CORRECTLY (I THINK THE OIL DRAIN IS THE BALANCE POINT) YOU
SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM.

Thank you,

John Green
the property