<VV> Cam Bearings, Proof is in the pudding

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Feb 6 22:47:25 EST 2006

From: JVHRoberts at aol.com
Subject: Re: Cam bearings
  ------------------big snip------------
Building up the cam and boring the case is probably the simplest. Boring the
case and fitting inserts is also a possibility. These would be the only two
I would consider.
  Smitty says:  As long as we are using John's money, I don't care how we do it.  I haven't investigated the cost of any of these fixes so I don't know but if it gets into adding several hundred dollars to the cost of an overhaul I will be looking for options.  Like, I don't see the necessity of boring the block.  Yeah I know.  The holes aren't round.  So which would you rather have?  A shaft with .001 clearance in a square hole or a shaft with .010 clearance in a square hole?  What is wrong with getting each journal turned down to fit its own bore?  A lot of people are talking about line boring the block but I am not sure they have knowledge of tool availability to do the job.  Talking about what they do for V Ws doesn't say the average shop can do it for us.  I had a block in the 70s that had distorted Mains.  It was only a couple of thousandths  I wanted to get it line bored to clean it up and then use shims behind the inserts.  Couldn't find anyone in Tidewater that would do it.
 Tooling they said.  So next step would be for me or someone else to get a cam done to fit a block, or prove the availability of tooling to do a line bore.
  When I asked this question in the first place, I asked what the pros were doing about the problem.  I would prefer to not hear any more from people who don't regularly build engines or from those who built one 10  years ago and don't see a problem.  I can dream up all kinds of solutions and in fact did address them to a friend before I posted to VV.  So lets hear what you "have done" or what you actually are "going to do", and get the word out on that.