<VV> Rust Devils

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 6 23:26:55 EST 2006

Hi Arjay,

Rust in the corners of the doors is a hard one but it can be done.  You have
to first kill all the old rust.  I had rust spots like you mentioned in the
Greenbrier.I tried to combat it myself when I was first learning how to do
bodywork.  It came back like you described with yours.  I paid a shop that
had a great reputation with classics to get rid of it once and for all.
It's been 11 years and not a sign of it has appeared again.  They ended up
cutting out the the door skin completely back to good metal.  I think they
also treated the seams with something on the inside and then as a last
measure applied a waxy substance to the inside of the doors.  I believe the
waxy substance is known as Waxoil , one recipe for it is

1 Lb Grated parafin or bee's wax
1/2 Gallon Mineral Spirits
2-3 Pints of Mineral Oil

Stir and let set until wax desolves
Add more Mineral Spirits if too thick

Spray or brush over interior door/body after you have finished all
repairs/bodywork and finish paint are completed to prevent corrosion in the
future.  Obviously you wouldn't want to apply this on a part you plan to
apply paint to in the near future.

They told me at body shop that some may continue to run out the bottom of
the doors on warm days.  It did for a while but was hardly noticeable.
Apparently this is an old treatment that seems to have done the trick!!

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

<snip>
I seek the group's knowlege in a vexing rust problem.
  Yesterday I discovered rust pustules pushing out the paint in two small
spots on the bottom, front corners of both doors......
  Has anyone dealt with this problem before? And what is the solution?

  Thanks in advance,
  Arjay Morgan
  64 Monza Convert.

<snip>