<VV> Cam bearing, lifter galley wear

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 13:55:50 EST 2006

Hey gang,
  Assuming any one engine hasn't been run without oil, how much wear would you anticipate there would be to the lifter galleys and cam bearings?  These parts are always at least partially submerged, are they not? I know lubricated parts wear, but to what extent?
  Someone who is always inside engines might see a lot of wear, but HOW often? The lifters especially would seem to have a significantly-large bearing surface considering how little they move. Is this a common problem, or are we killing a fly with a cannon?
  I agree with the philosophy that a couple of thou out of round is easier to live with than the cost and brain damage of trying to correct it. Also, how significant would the wear have to be for the experts among us to consider addressing the issue or trashing the block?
  The solution of shaving a couple thou off the block to get the lands back into tolerance seems like a good solution to me. Like Tony, I don't believe any of the bolt-ons are machined close enough to make a difference. Also, how much closer CAN you move the piston to the head without getting into trouble?

  Chuck Kubin