<VV> Line Boring

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Feb 7 14:58:58 EST 2006

Once had a VW camper engine line bored (align bored ?) as part of a
rebuild. Every time it got down to 30F (was in Texas) I'd start it up in
the morning, it would run for 30 seconds and freeze solid. Would then winch
into the garage and pull apart again, again.

First time they said I used the wrong case sealer. Second time there was a
lot of grumbling. After the third time the machine shop got out their
measuring tools and found the center main .003" off center. They never did
figure out how that happened. Bored again and it ran fine until I sold it
some time later.

I am not a fan of turning cranks or line boring blocks, would rather start
with a good used but worn engine and rebuild all stock (or polish crank and
use  .001 or .002 undersize bearings).

Speaking of which, anyone relatively close to Orlando have a good 95 hp
engine ? Pretty sure mine needs a rebuild but am not going to pull until I
have another ready to go in.

Padgett