<VV> Cam bearing, lifter galley wear--humor

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 15:06:47 EST 2006

Even on Smitty?

  Chuck

aeroned at aol.com wrote:

Assuming any one engine hasn't been run without oil, how much wear would you
anticipate there would be to the lifter galleys and cam bearings?

Chuck,

While I don't have a great deal of experience rebuilding Corvair engines (although I do have experience blowing them up), I did not notice a great deal of wear on the cam bearing surfaces on the engine I have measured. In fact it was right in the middle of the spec. The thing to remember is that the engine only had 75K or 80K miles on it. Smitty, on the otherhand, is probably in the neighborhood of 300K miles(Smitty car's engine that is). At that kind of usage, I'd bet there wear on everything.

Ned