<VV> Cam bearing, lifter galley wear

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 7 22:59:34 EST 2006

Hi, Chuck,
Of the vast number of blocks I've measured recently (2), exactly 50% had
clearances on the order of .006".  The "rest" ran about .002"-.003".  ;-)
I needed a prototype for trying out some design ideas, so I sacrificed the
loose one.

Granted, .004" off the mating surfaces would have made the plastigage
readings look good, but that would have only solved "half" the problem,
since the wear would still be there parallel to the part line.

It seems to me all this talk of case machining or line boring and bushings,
etc. is the hard solution.  Metal spraying and chroming of cam journals is
really common and is probably just as cheap (and a lot less risky) than
taking your block to the local machine for a shave.  I haven't priced it,
but I suspect that any number of cam grinders would do it for $100.  I bet
Ray Sedman (or one of his competitors) could point the way to getting that
work done reasonably.

Of course, as long as blocks are available for $50....

Roger