<VV> Death of Wayne Horning

Bill Meglen tirediron at charter.net
Sat Feb 11 16:16:18 EST 2006

At a meeting of the Northern Nevada Chapter of Inliners International
they reported the recent death of Wayne Horning 90, of Incline Village.

To Inliners he is revered for the Wayne 12 port head. He was a much
admired honorary member of the Chapter.

Members attended a memorial service and noted that his work on GM
inline engines and the Corvair marine conversion and was only one of
three careers in his lifetime.

He is known to Corvair people probably for the  WAYNE 100 marine
conversion of the Corvair engine.

Here is PatioMatt's  Corvair Boat Center
<http://members.aol.com/PatioMatt/

His obituary is at <http://www.rgj.com/obits/index.php?id=15266>

Extracts:

Wayne Frederick Horning was born on April 12, 1915 in Fairhope, Alabama
to Fred and Emily Horning. He passed away on Sunday, January 29, 2006
at age 90...

...His ingenuity in developing 'Wayne' heads in racing is still honored
today with an active group called "Inliners International". He had a
car entered in speed trails at Bonneville Salt Flats and also entered a
car at Indianapolis.

...Wayne Horning is a legend who was much loved and will be missed for
many reasons including his wonderful smile and fantastic sense of
humor. He leaves a legacy of honesty, integrity and strength of
character.

I think PatioMatt who is on the list could elaborate on this
imaginative configuration of the Corvair engine which I believe is set
up vertically with a dry sump?

Bill