<VV> Maximum cruising RPM

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Feb 12 21:43:09 EST 2006

Just wondering what the maximum cruising RPM consistant with engine
longitivity is, anyone have an idea ? Given that the Corvair has a very
short (2 15/16") stroke argues for a fairly high number but then '60s
technology and 30-35 psi oil pressure says not so.

Took about a 120 mile round trip to a show today. Going out the caravan
cruised mostly at 60 mph/3000 rpm. Coming back I ran more at the 70 speed
limit, 3500 rpm. (110/PG/3.55/ stock diameter tires) This seems quite high
to me being used to my Reatta which is turning just under 2000 rpm at 70
but this was not common before cares about mpg and emissions made four and
now five speed lock up transmissions common.

At this point I am not concerned about mpg, it is giving about 20 mpg on 93
PON and that is enough for right now but I am concerned about the high
engine speed so am wondering, from a longetivity standpoint is there a
maximum recommended cruise RPM for a plain (not 140 and not turbo) jane
Corvair engine ?

Padgett