<VV> Re: Dual Points-advantages?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Feb 13 19:05:28 EST 2006

At 12:31 hours 02/13/2006, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>Boy!  it is simply amazing how much info people have forgotten over
>the years -- as we move further into the age of electronics
>
>the classic dual point distributor was a rather successful attempt
>to increase coil saturation at high rpm on multi-cylinder
>engines.  the second set of points (when the lobe number matches the
>cylinder number) can be adjusted to close much sooner than is
>possible with single points -- cutting the dwell by maybe 40%
>without the excessive point arcing you would find trying to do this
>in a single point set up.  less "dwell" yields more time with the
>points closed, which means greater coil saturation, which means
>greater spark energy -- important stuff for an eight cylinder engine
>at 8,000+ rpm in the 1960's.
>
>yes, it is an obsolete technology, but so are carburetors.  big deal.
>more important would be the lack of that fuel economy device, the
>vacuum advance, on most of these units.

Not if you were a Mopar fan and your dual point was a Prestolite with
vacuum advance.

>one other thing many of these units make available is a port to
>drive a mechanical tach -- very retro, sorta like those carbs
>previously mentioned ...   :)

I see somebody was a GM/Corvette fan.   They had tach drives on some
distributors, but no Mopars I know of offered a tach drive on
anything including the dual point distributors which Mopar actually
didn't make (see Prestolite reference).

They did improve spark in the performance engines, although it seemed
more along the lines of increasing coil saturation for purpose of
making a more intense spark, not necessarily making a better spark at
very high rpm since the 426  and 440 engines in street trim weren't
high revvers although they did fill a cylinder pretty well and a
dense mixture under high compression was hard to light off, thus the
need for intense sparks...  not necessarily a high rpm spark
capability.    Most bigblock Mopars would float valves at 6000 rpm
*including* the Hemi (an intake valve that big is pretty heavy even
with a 5/16 stem) but since they made most of their best power
between 3000 and 5500 rpm anyway, it wasn't necessary to buzz
anything any higher than that.

The logic was to make an engine produce its best work at a low enough
rpm to remain together when pressed for its maximum output.   They
wanted the engines to stay in one piece.     Thus, a 440x6 would make
over 300 hp everywhere from 2800 rpm through 5600 where it was making
almost 400 hp, in bone stock form.

No need for a dual point in any of those engines although you could
get one if you wanted it by specifying the option.   However, the
single point ignition on those engines was sufficient to allow them
to do their worst damage to the dyno without misfiring.

It's old tech, admitted... and they weren't that much fun to keep
right.   All they were was a temptation to overrev the engine
IMHO.    Today I'd be going with the electronic ignition in any
event, just because it's so easy to come by, rather than chase a dual
point distributor that isn't so easy to find anymore.

In fact, my recent acquisition of another '66 Plymouth Satellite came
with the offer of either the dual point or single point distributor
for the bigblock engine in the car.

I picked the single point.   It's never gonna see more than 6000 rpm
and I can find points for it anywhere.   Not so easy with the
Prestolite.   Besides, what's to stop me from picking up an
*excellent* stock Mopar electronic ignition setup for the car?

In 1968, with that high revving 302, 327, or 340 smallblock breaking
up because of points issues, the dual point saved the day.

Not anymore.   If I want the musclecar to buzz tight, it will get
electronic ignition.   Show cars with matching numbers need not
apply; nobody drives them anyway.

tony..