toilet seats, was: <VV> Public Service Feb 14 Reminder - Not much Corvair

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Feb 16 13:31:29 EST 2006

[Note: Further discussions on this should remove the VV address, so that
this is kept on VVtalk.]

You realize that that's the biggest "complaint" women have with their
male spouse/roommate/children? And while "putting the seat down" may be
"a matter of courtesy," it is in truth a bogus excuse. It's really
saying that "I'm not responsible for my own actions, someone else is."
Fact is, anyone sitting down on an open toilet bowl really has no one to
blame for their inattention but themselves. (Been there, done that, and
*I* was responsible!) You don't see women leaving it up to please a man,
because he uses it in BOTH positions, and there is no way to tell which
one will be needed the next time he needs it. A man, on the other hand,
KNOWS when he goes into a bathroom that odds are he's going to have to
do SOMEthing with the seat, so to him it's no problem. He's been trained
since pottytraining to handle the seat position without complaint. So
why is it even an issue?

Then there are the Neanderthals that don't put it up in men's public
restrooms to do their "stand-up" job, and baptize the seat in the
process. I've seen THAT happen more times than I can stand (no pun
intended.) I would call such idiots "animals" but that would insult BOTH
species - (G).

My solution, at the very least for men's public restrooms, is a
counterweighted toilet seat. It would automatically raise itself if the
lid wasn't down or somebody wasn't sitting on it. It would also be great
if ALL seats were built that way, so that women would get used to the
idea that they'd HAVE to do something to the seat. Once so trained, this
phony "problem" complaint would disappear.

Think about this a while before you go flaming me, though. Doesn't every
man deep down secretly feel this way?

-Mark