<VV> Radio Shack (No direct Corvair)

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Sat Feb 18 08:04:51 EST 2006

At 06:56 AM 2/18/2006, Mark Noakes wrote:
>I do exactly the same.  If I need something that day, I will check the
>closest Radio Shack for simple electronics parts...not necessarily
>expecting to find it...but otherwise use the same mail order vendors as
>you.  However, I think the main reason that Radio Shack is struggling is
>not mail order bur rather that there are very few that dabble in component
>level electronics anymore; their original reason for being is gone and
>they couldn't find a new niche.  I never could understand how Radio Shack
>thought that they could compete with the likes of Circuit City, Best Buy,
>CompUSA, etc.

They adopted an unrealistic marketing strategy.  They went for
high-priced/low volume sales instead of low-price/high volume.  Both can
theoretically achieve the same revenue BUT only one strategy will attract
buyers.

The World Heavyweight Champion, Sam Walton, figured that out without an
MBA.   :)
Ken