<VV> Re: Ahhh, Stingers on Ebay

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat Feb 18 08:23:46 EST 2006

This really isn't that different in the "other" marques. As an example,
we all know what kind of insane money Shelby Mustangs bring. Well,
Shelbys were rebodied as often as our (much rarer) Stingers. A few years
ago, there was a dispute about a Shelby number. Two guys claimed it.

Guy #1 had the original Shelby body (complete with a pile of
documentation). The car had been wrecked, the Shelby plate cut out, and
junked. He had reclaimed the body and repaired it. I think he even had a
clear title with the original VIN (that matched Shelby production records).

Guy #2 had no documentation, but had the welded on Shelby data plate on
an obviously incorrect body.

The "powers that be" got together and essentially declared the rebodied
car to be the "real thing" and the actual body with the documentation to
be essentially worthless. A stunning (but not really surprising) decision.

Even in the ultra-high dollar cars (like the historic Ferrari racers)
it's common to find out that every piece of the car is new... as is
common with a "Pebble Beach" resto. The identity of the car transcends
its actual composition, much like Seth's grandfather's hammer...

Since there is really no way to trace a Corvair engine as original to
any car, I don't really see that as being very important to the
originality of a Stinger. I do think that documented original cars will
always be worth a huge premium over rebodies (but then even that is
questionable... if a rebody is done correctly, even the current owner
might not know his car isn't original. I think the number of actual
non-rebodied cars is tiny... ) The YS plate (and the position on the
Registry) alone is worth significant money... the YS plate with a
matching VIN and/or build plate even more... with the actual Stinger
equipment adding only fractional value (since there are so many cars out
there running "Stinger" equipment.)

I'm in the market for a Stinger (or Stinger "kit") myself (please
forward any leads!) but I'm not interested in paying anywhere close the
sort of money the seller is asking for this particular car (the $18k
Ebay bid isn't even close).

Bill