<VV> Which Direction Bellows Swivel? & Baffle

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 20 19:39:49 EST 2006

The under cylinder baffles serve two important functions.  First,
they restrict the air flow through the cylinders.  That is, if they
aren't there, the majority of the cooling air flows down through the
cylinders and NOT over through the cylinder heads.  The cast iron
cylinders have lots more air flow area -- the gap between the fins on
the cylinders as well as the gaps between the cylinders themselves
than do the cylinder heads.  Without the baffles, the cylinder heads
will run much hotter.  (Ask me what happens if someone leaves of one
baffle!  A "professional" Corvair mechanic did that to my car once...)

Second they help even out the cooling on the cylinders.  Without the
baffles, the cylinders tend to heat up unevenly and thus are "less
than perfect circles" due to differential thermal expansion.  This
leads to odd wear patterns.  Probably less of a problem than cooking
the cylinder heads though.

Padgett -- I'm pretty sure they are in place on your yellow car.  I
installed the lower shrouds on that car when it was up here in
Maryland and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if they weren't in place.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair.