<VV> Long crank times after "rest"

Jim Houston tampatexan at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 22 11:35:46 EST 2006

I approached the "dry cranking" problem by installing an electric fuel
pump in addition to the mechanical pump.  I obtained a Vega oil pressure
switch from my FLAPS and installed it in place of the stock Corvair OP
switch.  The Vega switch controls ground through 3 connections.  One to
ground, one is open with no pressure (put the stock Corvair light
connection here), and the other is closed with pressure (connect the
fuel pump ground to this one). This eliminates the need for an inertial
switch to shut off the pump = no oil pressure, no fuel pump.  At the
power end of the pump, I installed a double pole, double throw switch
with center off.  One ON is spring loaded and only stays on while you
hold it - this one goes to fused, switched 12vdc and the other pole of
the same side goes to ground.  The non-spring loaded end goes to
switched 12vdc and the second pole isn't used (ground comes through the
oil pressure switch).   To start the car, I hold the switch to on until
the pump loads up (indicating the carbs are full), then release and
start the car.  I leave the electric pump off - it's there "just in
case" the mechanical one fails..  Works for me, but YMMV...  :-P

Jim Houston
'65 Monza