<VV> Front crank seal

Dennis & Debbie PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com
Wed Feb 22 20:45:08 EST 2006

Motor oil is my choice.

dp

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim McLott<mailto:jim_mclott at bellsouth.net>
  To: virtualvairs at corvair.org<mailto:virtualvairs at corvair.org>
  Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:59 PM
  Subject: <VV> Front crank seal

  Sometimes having lots of Corvair reference material ("the books") can be
  almost as much of a problem as not having enough.

  I'm about to put a new front crank seal in Christine and am wondering what
  kind of lubricant to apply to the lips on the inner circumference of the
  bellhousing seal that contact the crankshaft.  One source (the shop manual)
  says Lubriplate, another source (written by an author with the initial BH)
  says high temperature wheel bearing moly grease.

  Is there a significant difference between the two?  Does it matter which I
  use?

  This is the second time I've had the engine out in two years (first time was
  a for a torque converter seal) and I don't want to have to do it again.  My
  wife says it's scary how quickly I can drop the engine now (an afternoon)
  and that is not A Good Thing.

  Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil
  Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red (again!)