<VV> E85 fuel

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Feb 23 09:20:04 EST 2006

I just finished a book entitled "What Energy Sources Should Be Pursued?"
published by Greenhaven Press (www.gale.com/greenhaven or
www.thomson.com). It's an anthology of several articles by
well-credentialed people in several fields such as wind and solar power
and alternate fuels.

The BIG problem as one of them points out is NET ENERGY. To use his
illustration, if you only had a gallon of gas in your car, and it took a
gallon of gas to get to the gas station and back, but they only had a
gallon to sell you, then it wouldn't be worth going after. Hence, that
is what net energy is about. Once we reach the point where it takes more
energy to get the fossil fuels (such as oil, in crude, shale oil, etc.)
than we get out of going after it, then the ballgame's over. Sure, we
have potentially enough fossil fuels to last hundreds of years, but what
nobody wants to talk about is the very REAL fact that we have reached
the point of negative net energy.

Then there's the problems with electric, hydrogen, wind, solar, water,
and even biofuel power. All have dubvious net energy issues, not to
mention environmental problems that are often overlooked. All of these
are further impacted by increasing population. Once there is no energy
to produce enough food, the world's population will peak by virtue of
starvation. And electric is incapable of powering large farm machinery
or for that matter, passenger jets. Game over!

I found the book very worthwile reading. It certainly makes one think.

-Mark