<VV> E85 fuel (NO CORVAIR)

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 15:28:32 EST 2006

As an ex-emissions chemist, I guess I should take this one.

Theoretically, there's no difference at all between the combustion products
of a hydrocarbon and an alcohol - you get water (steam) and CO2.  Of
course, we wouldn't have the word "practice" if theory and practice were
identical.  The difference in this case is that we don't get complete
combustion in the real world.  It's the products of incomplete combustion
that cause some types of smog, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc.

In practice, the combustion products of alcohols are environmentally a
little more benign than those of hydrocarbons (gasoline, propane), but tend
to pose bigger health problems for mammals like us.

If you postulate a cold engine and a rich mixture, as with a cold start
with the choke on, gasoline gives you unburned hydrocarbons and CO (carbon
monoxide) along with your steam and CO2.  The unburned (and
partially-burned) HCs are responsible for some types of smog, but tend not
to have dramatic health consequences (assuming it's a low-aromatic content
gasoline, which is mostly true now).  CO is bad, of course, but mostly if
you're in a confined space with it.  It's pretty reactive and tends to "go
away" quickly in atmosphere.   Note that I don't mean to imply that
breathing the exhaust of a cold gasoline-burning engine is good for you,
just that it consists of something immediately poisonous (CO) that
dissipates quickly, and something that may cause cancer in lab rats (HC)
but tends to pose more of an epidemiological threat than an immediate
health risk.

Start the same cold engine running E85 or M85, but be careful to stand
upwind!  Yes, you get some alcohol vapor as your unburned fuel component,
just like the gasoline vapor in the example above.   You also get some
CO,  because the engine's running rich, and you're getting incomplete
combustion.  Now for the bad news:  you also get a flavorful assortment of
short-chain aldehydes.  Ethanol vapor is not particularly bad for you, but
formaldehyde and acetaldehyde are.  It's not an accident that formaldehyde
is used to preserve animal tissue - just about nothing can live around the
stuff.  It's a well-documented carcinogen on the level of benzene, which
has been (mostly) removed from gasolines because of its carcinogenic nature.

Once the engine gets hot, of course, the evil stuff mostly goes away,
particular if you're running stoichiometric or lean mixtures and a
catalytic converter.  For something like a mostly-stock Corvair, however,
the emissions are not all that nice to be around.

The ethanol lobby has been careful to hand-wave this away, citing
electronic fuel injection and catalytic converters as fixing most of the
problem.  They're right - they do fix most of it.  Of course, the emissions
and environmental benefits of ethanol are calculated assuming that we all
drive carbureted cars from 1979, but nobody seems to notice that--too much
money flying around for common sense and good science to get in the way of
politics.

If I were going to put my corvairs on a gasoline-free diet, I would convert
to propane.  The energy density is about the same as that of Ethanol.  It's
not particularly corrosive, and it has a good octane number and
readily-available hardware.  Of course, Joe Corncob probably isn't
benefiting from my choice, and the federal government isn't subsidizing it
like they are ethanol.  If I had to go to ethanol, I'd put on an EFI
system.  You have to replumb the whole thing to deal with the corrosiveness
of the fuel anyway, so you may as well update to a better control system
while you're at it.

- Rad Davis