<VV> Sort of stoopid. - venting gas

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sun Feb 26 12:41:44 EST 2006

The Corvair (like everything else from that era) uses a
vented gas cap. There's a small orifice built in there that
allows the tank to breathe in air as the fuel is consumed
and breathe out vapor if the fuel is sloshed around a lot or
just warms during a diurnal event.  So, just use the proper
Corvair fuel cap and you are good to go.

As an FYI, to reduce evaporative HC emmisions nowadays cars
have a system that has a checkvalve to allow breathing of
air in, but is (normally sealed) to prevent flow in the
"out" direction.  They do provide a provision to vent the
tank under high pressure (for a fuel tank) to prevent from
bursting the tank. Usually said blowoff pressure is around
50-60 inches of water (about 2 psi). Said tank venting
should be an unusual occurance though...

Jim Burkhard