<VV> Multiple Rust problems on My 66 Convertible- YIKES! Help!

Neil Bristol neil_ljl at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 09:59:15 EST 2006

I had an earlier post about the rusted Rocker panel on my 66 Corsa Ragtop, Kent ( AKA Corvairkid) replied and I spent sometime looking at his great website, and the extensive repairs around the Windshield of his Yellow 66 Corsa Convertible, and the Rocker panels, etc, etc on the Blue Turbo. ( Beautiful cars and great information, Thanks again Kent!)

 Anyway, It got me thinking.  So I went back and spent Sunday taking out the dash and windshield and looking at the rockers again.I have found a few not so great surprises: My A pillars are fine but the right side rocker is pretty bad, strangely the left looks like it is OK (I think).  I have rust just like Kent's yellow Corsa in the windshield frame and into the dash (also a little in the seam at the fire wall).

 I have been pretty focused on the mechanical stuff since I acquired the car in 2002. It had been given an "OK" Earl Schieb special paint job a few years before and although it had some bondo it looked ( to me) to be pretty straight. I just wanted to be able to drive to the beach (1 mile away) in the summer or take my kids for an ice cream. Well it hasn't gone any further than around the block and not even that far in the last 18 months.

  Given my lack of body work expertise and not having welded anything since 1976 I wonder if maybe I should:

 a) Use this as a parts car and go find another with a solid body

 b) Buy a nice little late model coupe that doesn't need anything and drive that while I take 6 years to do the Convertible on the cheap.

 c) Sell it all and find another hobby

 It sure would be great to fix this one instead of parting it out but I don't want to throw good money after bad. If anyone out there has more information on these repairs I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking to make this a show car, just a safe and solid car I can enjoy. If there are any methods of making the repairs without getting into complex welding and fabrication I need to hear about them.

Thanks!

Neil