<VV> Dexron in brake system (logic mixed with humor)

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 14:03:50 EST 2006

Hey gang,
The Dextron discussion has, like so many other
threads, taken on a life of its own. Gary Swiatowsky's
description of cars failing inspections seems to have
nailed the perfect answer to the question of using ANY
fluid in ANY machine not designed to use it (Corvair,
Citroen, a new Ford truck, antique tractor, space
shuttle). If the soft bits of your system aren't
compatible, TS, it is wrecked and you wrecked it
(insert your favorite Darwin Award story here).
I'm pretty satisfied with the basic tenet that if your
system isn't designed to use a certain fluid (Dextron,
ATF, DOT3, motor oil, kerosene, mineral oil, distilled
water, MILSPEC vegatable-based hydraulic fluid,
Klingon piss) you can do some very serious damage by
adding ANY amount of ANYTHING that isn't right.  I was
surprised to read ATF, not a gear oil, was the correct
lube for the five-speed tranny in my 1992 S-10, but
the book said use it, so I did.
It worked great, as designed, despite unsettling my
confort zone around the notion that gear cases take
heavier gear oils, like SAE 80W-90W.
I don't care if ATF worked great in the S-10 tranny.
Ah jus ain't goan stick it in mah Corvairy brakes.
Elementary, my dear Watson. Just because engineers
have a great fluid in nuclear-distilled Jello used in
2018 Blasto anti-grav scooter thrust reversers, why
consider using it a Corvair brake system?  The jello
dissolves all forms of metal, makes men pregnant,
scavenges your credit cards, steals your house...but
it won't absorb water when the car sits for three
years!!!

Chuck Kubin
LIFCCXGP
Back on the meds