<VV> Todays work-

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 21:18:00 EST 2006

First off, I did not approve the showing of that
go-kart, haha.

second...

I've been waiting for a shipment of parts that came
today...some of the last few engine parts before the
only thing I need is brakes...

so, I took apart my new solenoid like i was told to
do, and used fine sand paper to sand down the contact
disc and stuff, so they weren't all glazed over...
and I put a new bolt into one of the places where one
got stripped.

I also painted the outer housing, and cleaned up the
plain aluminum drive end...

I used steel wool on the contact points on everything
just to clean it all up a little bit, put some lube
inside the bushings, and put it all back together with
the new Bendix starter drive.

I was also letting dry another project for the day...

as you all remember, i was having oil pan leaking
issues, and I overtorqued and severely messed up the
original oil pan...

So, I bent the turbo's pan back into shape (one end
had just been bent up, so I bent it back, and
straightened it out.

Then, I cleaned it up as best i could, and put high
temp crinkle paint on the bottom...something I
probably didn't need to do, but I'd rather not have it
rust, and I'm sure it isn't hurting anything by being
there.

I ordered a nice new Cork pan gasket, and got myself a
big tube of blue RTV.

I put a nice thick coat of it on the pan, and put the
gasket on, pressing enough for the stuff to just start
coming out...then I put every last bolt in its hole so
that the gasket was on the pan in the right way, so I
didn't end up with mis-aligned holes.

While allowing it to dry, I re-installed my starter
and its wiring, and I also installed my front shroud
that also came with the order...nothing amazing
here...just had to do a couple of take-it off and
re-install it in the right place type of things...but
it went on fine.

I went back into the house, and spread a thin layer of
RTV on the gasket to block side (after removing the
bolts from the holes.....) and went out to the garage
and re-installed it on the freshly cleaned surface.

I got new serrated head bolts for the pan, and snugged
each one up...then went around and gave them each a
small turn TWICE just until the sealer started to come
out (by now the bolts felt confidently snug, but I was
not even close too the too much pressure zone.)

I smoothed out the stuff that came out...for more
sealing I guess...and left it be.

We got feeler gauges not long ago, so I re-set the
points just to make sure it was right...you may find
it funny to know that I was at .017 just by eyeing it
up when I did it the first time!

Other than that, just getting things put into place,
and hooking the wiring back up to the starter and
such...

I did have to chase the threads on the balancer/crank
bolt...it came out much harder than it should....so i
chased the threads, and plan on chasing the threads
inside the crankshaft just to make sure everything is
happy.  I thought maybe about using some anti-seize
too....but we'll see.  It's not critical, I don't
think.

I also finally removed the crank from the turbo engine
that has been sitting here frozen since I bought the
car.  i realized that I was really stupid to have
wrecked the heads taking that engine apart...to
re-iterate, I feel REALLY stupid for it.  I probably
could have used them again.  But nothing I can do
about that now.

I beat the hell out of the tops of the pistons trying
to un-freeze the engine to take everything apart...so
I'm wondering if it's possible I messed up the crank
in doing so...if not, a turbo nitrided crank with
35,000 miles on it could probably be re-polished and
used again in an engine I will build probably next
year.

Oh...I tested the starter.  it didn't evcen think for
a second about not working...the second the key was
turned, the engine cranked nicely.....So, those of you
who said starter drive were right.

Now I get the balancer in another couple days, and
this weekend I plan on starting my car.  I'll let you
know what happens!

with Stained hands,
Ryan V.

1965 Corsa/110/4