<VV> Noisy starter disengagement

Rburger rcbmc at bentonrea.com
Sun Jan 1 15:24:49 EST 2006

Hello again;

I'm the guy who just installed a rebuilt 110 in my '62 700 sedan. By the way, the engine is running very nicely since replacing the bent/broken pushrod. I do have an issue with the starter I'd like to resolve, if I can. When I removed the starter from the old engine, I discovered the nose piece was broken. Apparently, that is typically an indication that either the starter drive or the ring gear on the torque converter is worn to the point of needing replacement. In my case, the ring gear did show some wear, but the starter drive was very worn. Since replacing the ring gear requires replacing the torque converter, at a cost of about $300, I opted for just rebuilding the starter with new solenoid, drive, brushes, bushings, nose piece, etc. By the way, the starter was not operated with the nose piece broken, and was not damaged internally. Now, sometimes when the engine catches and the starter disengages, there is a brief, high-pitched sound much like a belt squeal as the starter disengages. I considered that it might actually be belt squeal, but the tension there seems about right, i.e. I can just move the alternator pulley with my thumb. I've encountered similar problems on Chevy small-block V-8s, and solved it by shimming the starter. Anyone have any experience with Corvair noisy starter disengagement, and if so, did shimming help?

Thanks, and all the best to all of you for the new year!

Richard Burger