Car Salesmen and Solstice Re: <VV> Corsa 3-speeds

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Jan 1 18:13:36 EST 2006

Bill,
    That wouldn't surprise me in the least!  When I bought the 95 TransSport
about 11 years ago, I visited SIX local Chevy, Pontiac and Olds dealers.  Of
those SIX, I found only TWO with competent salespeople.  I didn't expect that
they would know all the details about the various car models they were selling,
but that they could FIND OUT answers to questions that I asked.  The good
ones went through the complete option list of ALL the items available for that
particular vehicle so I could determine if I wanted them or not and also gave me
an itemized price listing of those options I chose.  The FOUR who failed my
standard would only scrawl some total price on the back of an old envelope and
claim that it included everything I requested.
    That's how I found out that most (maybe all) GM cars could be ordered
from the factory with a block heater installed in the engine for only $18 (that
was 1995 pricing).  Also that even though the Pontiac version had a higher BASE
price, by the time I added in the OPTIONS that I wanted, OVERALL the Pontiac
was cheaper than the Chevy.  The Pontiac had more option packages with each
one containing fewer options than the Chevy, so the Pontiac required buying
FEWER unwanted options to get the ones I DID want.
    Nowadays, it would be far better to investigate all these options and
pricing on the Internet BEFORE even stepping into the dealership since I expect
the salespeople are STILL mostly clueless.  Jim and I recently visited a
Pontiac dealership to view the new Solstice and the saleslady had no response as to
why only 3 gauges (speedo, tach and fuel level) showed on the dash despite the
brochure claiming that it had an analog temp. gauge as well.  (My "soccer
mom" TransSport has SIX analog gauges).  I am a little less than 6 ft. tall and
weigh about 200 lbs. and the Solstice was a close fit for me.  Lotsa luck if
you're much over 6 ft or 200 lbs.  Makes the LM Corvair coupe seem positively
roomy by comparison.  Maybe if I lose some weight and shrink some more height?
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 12/30/05 4:19:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,