<VV> Oil Pressure

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon Jan 2 21:21:12 EST 2006

> Any thoughts on oil pressure ? One book says "35 psi" but not at what rpm.
> Old timey rule of thumb was "10 psi per 1000 rpm" but the original Chevvy
> power book (mimeographed) said not to exceed 55 psi.

I would suggest to all who are tech minded to get from Clarks, reprints of
what were GM restricted engine test reports where they take an engine off
the production line, break it in, then run every possible test and spec every
production spec and put it all in a nice report with lotsa graphs.
They are only a buck or so ea. I bought C7958, a report on a 140 hp 65
engine from which the graph of oil pressure shows:
 	35 psi at 1200, 37 at 2400, 39 at 3200, and 40 above 3600.
 	Oil was Havoline straight wt 30 oil.
C7956 has good info on early turbo motor.

These reports have documented straight info on production motors in new
shape as tested by GM in the 60's. Things like modern weight oils would
change things like oil pressure a little but trends still same.
These tests show that oil temps reach 280 deg F during their tests.

regards,

frank parker