<VV> Re:engine #'s drivin me crazy

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jan 3 23:20:58 EST 2006

|Your engine block is a 62/63 84 hp PG from a Monza 900. The head is a
late 110. The heads |shouldn't fit unless there is a spacer around the
top of the cylinder. I think you have a mishmash of |parts. Hopefully
someone hogged out the interior of the block an put a late crank, late
cylinders to |go with the 110 head. This is actually done fairly often
so earlies can have a correct block |number,  but actually have 164 cid.
If the objective is to put head gaskets in, my guess would be |late
gaskets. If you really have 110 heads on a 145 cid engine you have a
really low compression |ratio and should look for some early heads.

Nobody commented yet on the last sentence. 110 heads, if 1965 to 1969,
do have the larger bore opening and need larger head gaskets and shims
to fit 1960 to 1964 cylinders. But, the compression ratio will be
similar to a 102 head. Still higher than a 80 or 95 HP head. You can
also use 1965 to 1969 cylinders on the early block to fit the late 110
head without shims. The pistons need to be matched to the crankshaft,
145 pistons to a 145 crank, and 164 pistons to a 164 crank. Just ask me,
my Spyder ran for years with low compression due to 164 pistons on 145
crank!

Comments from those with more knowledge?

Frank DuVal