<VV> My First Corvair-an attempt for more stories

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 00:03:25 EST 2006

Applause to Ryan for a well told, well thought out story, and in his own words no less.

  Perhaps we shoud put him up for Poster Boy of the Young Corvair Set.

  I've seen some of his working conditions, not to mention that he does this word in one of the most inhospitable climes known to man or beast.

  Give the kid a hand, guys.

  Arjay Morgan
  64 Monza convert
  Message: 8
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:21:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Ryan Verthein <daretocorvair at yahoo.com>
<snip>

Everyone told me I was crazy for starting out in
Corvair land with a car that didn't run.  But I told
em I was young and I can take it.  So I saved up, and
bought myself exactly the car I wanted.  Dale and I
wheeled and dealed, and talked for a long time on the
phone.  we finally got it figured out that he would
deliver the car to me in Grand Rapids one weekend when
I was up  to my good buddy Kevin's garage (my garage
had an Edsel in it.)

I worked on it on the weekends when I came up...and
finally Kevin's dad told me the car had to go.  he was
getting pissed that it wasn't on the road, or at least
out of his garage....So after a couple of weeks of
avoiding them, I rented a car dolly, took my moms Fo*d
van, and picked up the car one day when no one was
home.  ( I of course told them later that day.)

I won't go into much more detail, but I've done a LOT
of work...taking out the old POS frozen turbo engine
(with no turbo on it)  and reviving the 110 that Dale
gave me with the car to get er back on the road.

I'm putting on an ALL new brake system(with a dual
MC), a new (and improved) interior, having the car
stripped to bare metal and repainted (not for some
time yet)  and then I'm going to build up a mild
performance engine that I can drive everyday with, and
then get on the track and make some good times with.

I was telling Jeff Calrk earlier in an e-mail that it
was awesome when I got the title for MY corvair in the
mail.  I've driven my dad's cars, or ones I bought
that were in his name for a couple of years....but I
was on my own, and making really good money last year,
so I bought the car, and put it in my name.  it's my
first ever car in my name...and even though I have
been weak at times, I will never sell it, cause it's
my baby.  I have to get her on the road, and drive the
car til long after the doors fall off.

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it like POR-15 to
rusty floors.

Ryan V.

1965 Corsa/110/4