<VV> My First Corvair

Flat6Vair Flat6Vair at insightbb.com
Thu Jan 5 18:10:41 EST 2006

Impressive story Ryan.  I've saved it off in my files.  It may get used in
my local club newsletter some day.

I don't have a soft spot for 49-54 Chevies although as a kid I probably
played in the shells of several on the farm.  Not a big fan of the 55-57 era
either.  Preferring the pre-war era -- 33-37.

My attraction to Corvairs started with a 64 monza convertible that a
co-worker drove to the office picnics every summer.  After a few years, and
when I could afford a spare fun car,  I but a late model sedan at an aution.
Great car for the weekends,  500 PG.  Then after a few forays into buying
the wrong Corvairs <rust buckets>  I joined the local club and Corsa.  I
also managed to but that 64 monza convertible because the owner, after
having it repainted, couldn't make up his mind whether to put ht eold trim
back on, or buy new.   So it sat in his garage for 2 and a half years.  I
bought new trim where needed, attached all the parts <except those extra
pieces........>   and then installed a new top , the old one rotted away
because he never raised it>--- by myself, with only the instructions in the
shop manual.  I'm older and wiser now.   I'll get somebody to assist.

The first sedan is in someone else's hands, I kept running out of space.
But that 64 convertible is still in the garage,  with 36k on it now vs the
28k when I bought it.  Plus a few other unique Corvairs.  All driven
whenever possible.

tim mahler